RE: Monitoring software

  • From: Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx'" <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>, "david.robillard@xxxxxxxxx" <david.robillard@xxxxxxxxx>, mdinh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 10:44:34 -0700 (PDT)

if worst sql doesn't correlate to "bad user experience" in some front end, or
in some batch process that requires completion in a particular window, it
doesn't much matter. does it?
monitor SLA for user experience, and only dig for bad SQL when something
someone cares about starts showing up on the violation list.
That's probably a hard job for the DBA to sit back and not care about bad SQL,
but consider it liberating.
Also if you start leveraging the new auto-tune stuff, oracle will be
prioritizing the highest impact sql of the day, week, month, and automatically
generating and evaluating profiles for those statements anyway during
maintenance task windows.
that will free you up even more supposedly.
Job

Date: Friday, July 2, 2010, 12:44 PM

If it makes you feel any better, you are not in the boat alone.

Everyone once in a while, we go through the ritual of
identifying the top 10 worse SQL.

Then we repeat the process of identifying the top 10 worse SQL.

Notice I did not say anything about fixing, only identifying.

Michael Dinh : XIFIN : 858.436.2929

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY - This material is intended for the use
of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable laws.  BE FURTHER ADVISED THAT THIS EMAIL MAY CONTAIN PROTECTED
HEALTH INFORMATION (PHI). BY ACCEPTING THIS MESSAGE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE
FOREGOING, AND AGREE AS FOLLOWS: YOU AGREE TO NOT DISCLOSE TO ANY THIRD PARTY
ANY PHI CONTAINED HEREIN, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT
NECESSARY TO PERFORM YOUR OBLIGATIONS RELATING TO THE RECEIPT OF THIS
MESSAGE.  If the reader of this email (and attachments) is not the
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please
notify the sender of the error and delete the e-mail you received. Thank you.