Re: Monitoring software

  • From: David Robillard <david.robillard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:49:14 -0400

Hi Martin,

> Yes please! I have used Nagios extensively in the past, and found that
> the Windows NRPE was _very_ unreliable, i.e. simply crashed far too
> often. You said you are using Nagios to monitor Windows environments-out
> of curiosity, what endpoint did you install to listen to nagios checks?
> Or are you using passive checks?

We try to stay away from the Windows NRPE and use it only very special
cases. Instead we use Net-SNMP which has been around since 1992. There
are 32 and 64 bit Windows and Linux binaries available from the
project's website at http://www.net-snmp.org/. Nagios just performs an
snmpwalk to get the data.

We also use it for our Solaris, AIX, Linux and FreeBSD hosts. (We
don't have HP-UX hosts, but my guess is that it should be available
too). That way we have a single Nagios implementation across all our
platforms.

More specific on the Windows hosts, here's an example of what we
monitor via Net-SNMP:

- Check if the event log service is running?
- Check the load on Windows servers.
- Check the bandwidth on the various network interfaces.
- Check the memory usage.
- Check if terminal services is running?
- Space on all disk drives (i.e. C:\, D:\, etc)
- Uptime verification.
- IIS website validation (per site validation check).
- Check if the FTP service is running? (we can also login to test it)
- Check if the Antivirus definition is up-to-date.
- Check if SQL Server is running?

Diego on this list has mentioned nsclient++ (http://nsclient.org/). I
didn't know about it but will check it out.

Let me know if you need even more details.

> Thanks for any insights!
>
> Martin

Anytime!

David