RE: Monitoring software

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>, <dgardella@xxxxxxxxx>, <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:47:26 -0400

OH heck, I guess I'll put in my two cents as well.  The question that
you need to answer before selecting software is what are you trying to
monitor, for what audience, and what privileges in the database will
they require.  For us Grid Control is the monitoring software of choice
for the database management group, but that leaves our developers and
managers out in the cold since we don't want to grant them any
privileges, especially in production.  Basically for them we want a
look, but no touch system.  That was not something that I could find on
the open source or other markets, so I built my own based on what the
developers and managers needed.  Yes it's very niche in it's
functionality, but they love it.  It has zero impact on the databases,
does not maintain a connection, does not expose any app data (auditors
really like the fact that the account it's logged into can only see the
data dictionary), and being done in PHP is very easy to maintain.  For
us, subject closed.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International