RE: How do you feel about allowing non-DBA's on your database servers?

  • From: "Clarke, Andrew" <andrew.clarke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:49:12 +0100

Robert

Your position is basically the correct one, and one the customer ought
to appreciate in the era of SOX and all those other tricky compliance
issues.  However, the fact that the client is under this pressure
suggests that the DBAs and Sysadmin types are not being sufficiently
responsive to requests from Support and Development.

Obvious everybody is overworked and too busy these days, but if the
people who got root don't make time to help Support and Dev then they
will come under pressure to broaden access to the servers.  It's not
necessarily right but it is understandable.

Having been on both sides of the fence I can assure you there are no
easy answers.    The way forward is for the client needs to get
representatives from all the interested parties in the same room to
discuss it.  At which meeting they'll probably discover that Development
don't want to run sar at the drop of a hat, they just need regular
(daily) profile reports , and Support needs ps running within five
minutes of asking, on average twice a week.

Cheers, APC