Re: How do you feel about allowing non-DBA's on your database servers?

  • From: Michael Moore <michaeljmoore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:19:52 -0700

I agree Rich,
I didn't mean to suggest that PROD data was sufficient or appropriate for
testing. I would more concerned with the reproduction of problems that occur
in PROD. Often, those problems can not be reproduced in testing environment.

It's a messy world and there is no perfect or one-size-fits-all solution.
It's a matter of risk assessment. We balance the risk of system failure with
the risk slow development. Each application will have a different tolerance
for failure. Obviously, medical systems have a low tolerance for failure. A
link bait web site, well if it fails, not such a big problem. The assessment
of risk verses the benefit of timeliness will be huge factors in determining
what measures need to be taken. Just my buck-o-five worth.

Mike