RE: Capacity Planner from OEM VS Statspack

  • From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:46:44 -0600

I'd summarize this way:

Statspack is "worse than useless" for diagnosing performance problems.
Something is useless if it doesn't work. It is worse than useless if it
inspires confidence while not working.

I regularly meet clients who learn the inadequacies of Statspack data
only after months--sometimes years--of pain. The problem with Statspack
in the problem diagnosis application is that it's *unreliable*. It works
sometimes, but not always. Being unreliably correct is even worse than
being reliably incorrect, because unreliably correct tools inspire false
confidence.

That said, Statspack is an excellent tool in the capacity planning
application, where you *need* aggregated data.

So, please don't take me wrong. Statspack is a tool. A tool itself is
neither good nor bad; it's the *application* of a tool that is good or
bad. A screwdriver is lousy at driving a nail but good at turning a
screw.

Statspack is a lousy tool for performance problem diagnosis. It's a fine
tool for some other applications.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 2/24 San Diego, 3/23 Park City, 4/6 Seattle
- SQL Optimization 101: 2/16 Dallas
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...