Re: AMD vs Xeon 64 bit

  • From: "Anjo Kolk" <anjo.kolk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:37:28 +0200

Vivek,

Still a bit shakey as I caused an accident on the highway this morning. Car
crashed, ego crashed but body ok. Nobody injured.
The funny thing was I was just on my way to the customer to see what they
were and how they were doing with the new setup,

Q1) I will get you the precise spec, but the Vendor is SUN. Not sure if they
decided on Redhat or solaris x86. I hope Redhat.

Q3) They were using IAS, so they could just move to the new platform by
reinstalling the application server.
     Moving from Sparc/Solaris to Intel/Redhat requires a change to the
code (recompile/relink) however with java you could be safe.

Q4) I will follow up with you.

Anjo.

On 9/6/06, VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anjo, List

Qs 1 If you could share some more *config info* on the 30K $ Box please? *
O.S., Vendor etc  *
**
Qs 2 Did the O.S. continue to be Solaris OR did it change to something?
Sun does offer Boxes with with Opteron CPUs:-
http://www.sun.com/servers/index.jsp?cat=Sun%20Fire%20x64%20Servers&tab=3

Qs 3 Will moving to Opteron CPUs require RE-Compilation & porting of
existing Application Code?

NOTE - Our Banking Products are Coded is in Pro C, .Net, Java currently
Runs on Solaris, Windows , HP-UX (on Itanium Chips), AIX (P5 Servers) with
Oracle / SQL*Server Databases

Am looking to check the possibility of our Banking Product's possible port
to AMD Opteron & possibly build a case for management.
Qs 4 Any Site, Links, Presentations which can be used suitably, Other than
the following?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/04/22/duel_of_the_titans/page5.html

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_8796_14287,00.html

 Thanks indeed.

------------------------------ *From:* oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Anjo Kolk *Sent:* Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:24 PM

*To:* j.miranda@xxxxxxxxxxxx
*Cc:* oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

*Subject:* Re: AMD vs Xeon 64 bit

Dl 585 is the one to go for. Buy the fastest and most memory that you can and you will be smiling the whole day. I just advised a customer to replace their 16 cpu SUN sparc box with a 4 CPU dual core Opteron. The sun box was 1 million dollar, the opteron costed around 30K dollar. They went live over the weekend and and they are very happy :-)

Anjo.

On 9/5/06, Juan Miranda <j.miranda@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > Hi > > > > We will buy an new server. > > SO will be RHEL 4 AS/ES > > > > Alternatives: > > > > 1) HP 585 4x AMD Opteron > > 2) HP 580 4x Xeon > > > > > > Any reference, idea, experience about these 2 alternatives ??? > > > > What about SGA limit ? > > I think I can make a huge SGA with AMD64 (no 3 GB limit), > > Do I have this limit in Xeon 64 bit ? > > > > Thanks. > > > > > > >

--
Anjo Kolk
Owner and Founder OraPerf Projects
tel:    +31-577-712000
mob: +31-6-55340888
This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original
message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail
or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This
e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to
minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a
result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus
checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right
to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this
e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored
on the Infosys e-mail system.

-- Anjo Kolk Owner and Founder OraPerf Projects tel: +31-577-712000 mob: +31-6-55340888