Re: AMD vs Xeon 64 bit

  • From: "Svetoslav Gyurov" <softice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 01:02:30 +0300

Juan,

Its not much, but just for information: we are having customer using
HP DL 585 ( 2 x CPU 1.7 Ghz, 4 GB RAM) ,  RHEL 4 EE, Oracle 10g .
They are using the internal SCSI controller (U160), 4 x 72 Gb in RAID
5. The database size is around 50-60 Gb and its growing by 3-4 Gb /
month. The database is not generally loaded, but at the beginning of
the month when they are parsing around hundred of 3 Mb files on a
minute. Initially they were having 2 Gb RAM and they were suffering
from some bottle-neck and after that they put another 2 Gb RAM.
Average server load is below 30%. They are using the server for more
that eight months, working without problems for that period and they
are really happy with it.

Anjo, but why if the hardware is special it breaks often, yes it needs
special manufacturing skills/lines and that's why it's more reliable
where in MASS produced hardware no one cares if the particular unit is
working and especially for that its MASS produced and its cheap.
Anyway, x86 is good, but what if you have a mission critical databases
where you need huge calculating power, a lot of RAM, performance,
scalability and flexibility ? And Jurijs I think these are the reasons
why people are still buying RISC and EPIC based platforms.

Regards.

--
sve