RE: AMD vs Xeon 64 bit

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:20:38 -0500

In our case, the x86 arch's don't have IBM's APV where the IBM P5s do.
APV (Google IBM APV) allows us to efficiently make the best use of all
blade resources.  I would be that it allows us to decrease our CPUs
purchased by 25-33% (very rough guess).  I'm not sure it helps with
memory, since each LPAR still requires a complete OS, but CPU-wise,
we're definitely saving a bundle.

And, no, the argument for multiple commodity boxes doesn't work here.
There's no current way the hardware, power, and floor space savings
could be offset by switching from these blades (JS21s) to somewhat
cheaper hardware.  There is also the question of support of the FCs that
are connected to our virtual SANs, which Linux does not currently
support (I believe).  At least with IBM all around, it's a one-stop
blame storm when something goes wrong.  :)

I didn't agree with this decision at first, but the more I see of these
blades, IBM's APV, and the seamless interaction between all the
components, I'm sold.  Plus, having the AIX kernel dynamically adjust
standard Oracle tunables like shmsys:shminfo_shmmax and
semsys:seminfo_semmns in Solaris can be a huge boon.  :)

My $.02,
Rich