RE: AMD vs Xeon 64 bit

  • From: "VIVEK_SHARMA" <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <anjo.kolk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:39:28 +0530

Anjo, List

Qs 1 If you could share some more config info on the 30K $ Box please?
O.S., Vendor etc

Qs 2 Did the O.S. continue to be Solaris OR did it change to something?
Sun does offer Boxes with with Opteron CPUs:-
http://www.sun.com/servers/index.jsp?cat=Sun%20Fire%20x64%20Servers&tab=
3

Qs 3 Will moving to Opteron CPUs require RE-Compilation & porting of
existing Application Code?

NOTE - Our Banking Products are Coded is in Pro C, .Net, Java currently
Runs on Solaris, Windows , HP-UX (on Itanium Chips), AIX (P5 Servers)
with Oracle / SQL*Server Databases

Am looking to check the possibility of our Banking Product's possible
port to AMD Opteron & possibly build a case for management.
Qs 4 Any Site, Links, Presentations which can be used suitably, Other
than the following?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/04/22/duel_of_the_titans/page5.html
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_8796_14
287,00.html