Re: 1 minutes: best downtime story

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hemantkchitale@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 23:33:28 +0800

An induced outage by me
Non-mission critical database running an enterprise portal.
I am reorganising the online redo logs.
ALTER DATABASE CREATE LOGFILE
ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE
rm redo01.dbf

running it in a cycle.

Oops.  I did an rm redo04.dbf that was ACTIVE.  (Fortunately, not CURRENT).
Wasn't confident that a CLEAR LOGFILE would fix it so did a quick SHUTDOWN
and STARTUP.
The shutdown/startup wasn't noticed but I did send an email to the Portal
manager that I had restarted the database.

Hemant K Chitale

--

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com