Re: 1 minutes: best downtime story

  • From: Martin Klier <usn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:53:09 +0100

20 hours of central storage downtime in a 15k-people retail company.

Infrastructure admin accidentially loosened a cable between a DS8000
series controller and its internal UPS. Storage crashed hard, and did
not come up again. Console for diagnosis did not work, since it had to
boot from a CD ROM which did not work. IBM shipped a new one by courier
in a minivan, driving 1000km cross Europe and arriving with one square
foot sweat stains in his armpits. Courier nearly got a coronary when he
learned that the customer  would have needed a CD ROM DRIVE, not a
silver disc....

Solved by: Asking another company in town with the same (working)
storage and borrow the hot plug CD ROM drive for an hour. Sending back
the CD with compliments.

Regards
Martin

--
Usn's IT Blog for Linux, Oracle, Asterisk
http://www.usn-it.de