RE: 1 minutes: best downtime story

  • From: <Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:59:14 +0000

Back in 2001 one of our SAs was shutting down an unused server.  He powered it
down and then started pulling the disks out of the storage array.
Unfortunately that storage array also contained disks for our live data
warehouse database (which also supported several internal applications).

The database crashed of course.  Since he did it overnight our warm backup to
disk was running at the time so it was half overwritten. We were able to get
the database partially working with the files we had available.

So we went to the previous day's tape backup only to discover the tape was bad.
 As was the tape from the day before.  Finally the tape from 3 days earlier was
in a readable state, we were able to do a restore and then start applying the
changes.  It took about 4 days to get it full restored.

On the plus side we finally got approval for a DR box for that database after
the incident and the SA group started checking their tapes.

I also started requesting an environment to test restores.  We finally got one
last year (11 years later).

Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle Database Administrator