[optacon-l] Re: Training

  • From: Linda Gehres <ljgehres@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 19:47:38 -0800

I, too, was without an  Optacon for about fifteen years as when I left a job
with the federal
government, I naturally needed to return the machine.  An Optacon was donated
to a rehabilitation
center where I was working in 2000.  All of the blind people employed there
with the exception of me thought of the
Optacon as being far too antiquated to meet their needs in that they all
preferred to use talking
scanners.  Since I was the only one who seemed interested in it, it was given
to me.  Shortly after
that, my mother bought a restored Optacon from the Sacramento, California
School District, and I
decided to pass the donated Optacon on to a friend of mine in Canada.  She says
she may not use
it a whole lot, but she's certainly glad to have it and had been without one
for a long time as I had been.
Since my job never required me to read straight text, I never developed quick
reading speeds, but
the important thing is that the Optacon gives me easier independence than I
would have with just the computer
and scanner.
Linda G.