Training

  • From: "Dan Tevelde" <dan.tevelde@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:51:28 -0500

I haven't used an optacon for 25 years.  Last week I had a chance to help a
friend who just received one for free.  I was able to adjust the controls
and get the pins to vibrate and move the camera.  All I could feel were
straight lines up and down.  I picked a document I also had in braille to
see if I could read it.  The optacon also looked different from the one I
had.  The unit was inside a case and there were wheels on it to slide it out
so you could touch the display.  I also don't remember what the button on
the camera is for.  I'm thinking of buying a used one but would be hesitant
unless I can find some training materials and some oaccasional help.  I'm
not sure what my friend is going to do with her model I think she wants to
learn to use it and I'd like to help but I need to learn to use it first.
She has never had training.  My training was so long ago it doesn't really
count.  I had to give up my optacon when I went to college and couldn't
afford another one.

Dan