[optacon-l] Re: Hi, Optaconers

  • From: Judy Jones <Judy.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:45:25 +0000

If it were not for the Optacon, I would need reader services on my job.  It is
the only equipment out there that can properly read bills and insurance forms.

I also usit to find a signature line as needed.  When I find the signature
line, I move to the right of the beginning of it about a half inch, as the
housing of the hand camera itself takes up a bit more room.  I hold the camera
in place, take a stylus, find the indent in the nose of the camera and make a
dot.  I then turn the paper face down to find the dot, then fold the paper
right on that line where the dot is, making sure edges match to get a straight
fold.  I turn the paper back over, and what I have is a straight raised line.
If necessary one can push the dot with the stylus from the underside back out
so it is clearly tactile and shows the beginning of the line.  With practice, I
can mark a line spot on.  You can then test to see if the raised line you made
is exactly on the printed line.

I have also marked a space where I need to type in something, and that works,
too.

I am able to find blank spots on a document to date stamp.

I also use old envelopes or scrap paper to make sure my date stamp is correct
when changing it.

I also check my signature and can correct myself if it gets sloppy.

When the mail comes in, I can spot check it, then use my scanner for involved
documents that would take more time.

One of my colleagues has excellent readable printing for optacon, and I enjoy
working with her paperwork. Everyone is not so fortunate.

At home, I can read round ites' labels, such as bottles and cans.

To answer your other question, I did know print before learning the Optacon.
My parents had me reading any raised print they could find when I was little.

Judy