[opendtv] Re: its a wifi world - Re: Re: Twang's

  • From: "Kon" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:07:28 -0400

Well, for DSL and Cable it usually is. If you want to share your
connection with 3rd parties who you don't know from Adam (gratis or
not), you should be paying for 'Business' DSL/Cable. Home DSL/Cable is
for a private residence and their use only. This is why CableCo/DSL
ISPs nail users via traffic monitoring and make them switch service
contracts. Its quite easy really, just squelch the user's bandwidth
automatically if they are sucking down a lot of data and wait until
they call to ask what is going on and 'why am I getting 9.6Kbps on this
10Mbit pipe'.

Everyone on the internet is regulated by terms of service agreements.
If some places choose to waive it and let people have a free for all -
well we know what happens there - they are bound to be sued or get
abused by folks like spam-distributors, kiddie-porn downloaders, movie
pirates, et al.

I share an AP at home for anyone to use. Only catch is that it is
firewalled from my home network, all data is scanned by snort, squid
filters content, and only port 80 is open. This is something that by
default APs should implement - a default mode of lockdown for both
internal and external connections.

Cheers
Kon