[opendtv] Re: its a wifi world - Re: Re: Twang's

  • From: "Kon" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:35:04 -0700

>However, is it unlawful to "steal" service from an unlocked access point?
I'd say that the law is currently vague on that point: there's no entering
per se, there's no breaking per se, and there's no DMCA circumvention since
the service was not protected by password or encryption.  Sui generis: new
law.

Yes. If said network owner can prove that you connected and did so much as
obtain an IP address or send a ARP packet on his network, it is enough to
nail you for hacking. TCP solicitation on any layer is the same as entering.
There is a reason why the golden wardriving rule is to turn off all protocol
layers ala TCP and only monitor for AP presence. I believe this all falls
under the DMCA, but I may be mistaken.

Your defense is the same as that of someone trying to crack an encrypted
file using a brute force dictionary attack. 'I had no idea officer, I wasn't
typing in any passwords at the time - I only clicked this button', or
someone robbing a house. 'The front door was open, they left all their stuff
out for me to take'.

But, as it has been proven in our system, he with the most money or most
interesting defense usually wins.

Cheers
Kon