[opendtv] Re: Zenith/LG NOT announcing new STB's based upon 5'th gen chip

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:06:30 -0500

Still, it is worrisome that the company that owns the IP for the
supposedly BEST ATSC receiver technology still does not think it is a
good business decision to bother to build ATSC STB's with it.

Currently there are still no STB's on the market that will perform
adequately in Mark S's apartment.  Yet the two wonder chips (LG, Linx)
that maybe could do it are both MIA after long periods.

Possibly, as I suggested on AVS, there are broadcast flag issues and new
boxes will be announced after July once they don't have to worry about
hurting sales of existing non-compliant gear.  But if they are not then
  we may be in for a long wait.

Anybody know if any new ATSC STB's were announced at CES?  After all, it
is extremely unlikely that prices will drop rapidly if nobody even
bothers to make them.

- Tom