[opendtv] Re: Zenith/LG NOT announcing new STB's based upon 5'th gen chip

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:10:13 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>At 2:28 PM -0500 1/11/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>In The UK there was no analog turnoff and sales of receivers continue to
>>accelerate with a receiver going for $37.53 and $56.29 pre Christmas. I
>>think you had to buy $50 worth of merchandise to get the $37.53 price.
>>As Craig mentioned sales for the quarter exceeded 1.3 million up to
>>12/11/04. That would suggest 1.6 million for the quarter, 4 million for
>>the year and 5.5 million next year. 11.5 million the first three years
>>or in US terms 69 million. What if we had been at it for the last 5
>>years instead of the UK's 2? What if we had COFDM for the last 5 years?
>>How many USDTV's would there have been created if we could have had a
>>business plan that made sense?
>>

>How many USDTVs would fare as well as On Digital did?
>
>While I admire your enthusiasm for a transmission system that works,
>this aspect of the "product" is only important to consumers when it
>DOES NOT work. Consumers could care less about the "technical
>infrastruture;" what they care about is the content and the value
>proposition.
>
>OnDigital DID NOT provide a compelling value proposition; it plodded
>along while BSkyB walked off with 80% or more of the subscription DTV
>market in the U.K.
>
>Freeview dramatically changed the value proposition (there is
>something appealing about "FREE"); as a result it has grown to become
>the 10 largest DTV deployment in the world.

I think that OnDigital failed for specific business decisions. If they
had been able to offer a combination of free and subscription based
service like is now being offered in the UK they would have succeeded.
They also suffered from even lower power levels than the average ONE kW
being used in the UK now.

Starting in January 2001 using higher US power levels, SFNs, a receiver
that would by now cost as little as $60 (COFDM HD, SD receivers are
being sold retail not bought wholesale for $40 in the UK) an offering
like USDTV with a 50 SD channels subscription service and all the free
HD and SD also being offered and PVR functionality we could have had 90
million receivers distributed in the US by the end of 2005.

In the UK in just the last quarter they have SOLD not given away 1.6
million receivers. That would be 9.6 million receivers in the US in just
that one quarter. In the US over the last 4 years we would have had
another factor. Not only would multiple ventures have been distributing
free receivers, there would also be a mobile and portable market that
does not exist in the UK.

More free channels, the mobile market, a subscription service with
content not available free ( a plus in my book) and free receivers all
add up to an even higher sales rate than is occurring in the UK not a
lower one. 90 million is the number you get if you just follow the sales
rate in the UK and apply it to the US.

Something north of 90 million is probably more accurate for the US from
January 2001 thru the end of 2005.. By now you could have 20 to 30
million mobile devices alone. The average home might have more than one
device by the end of 2005. We will never know but the numbers coming out
of other countries will continue to astound. All those portable media
players, a new one introduced each day, would have OTA receivers in them
in 2005. Those 60% of SUVs that Chrysler sells with rear seat DVD
players in the roof would all have OTA receivers built in and the number
would rise from 60% to 85%. The car market alone would have 5 to 10
million receivers in them by the end of 2005.

No I think I have estimated a low number with 90 million.

Bob Miller