[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo) 2004April20

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:47:02 -0400

John -

I think the assigned purpose was to show digital television  ((H)DTV )
using directional (non-urban?) rooftop antennas which they assumed all
users would have for some silly reason.

But I don't care about the 'assigned purpose'.  I am a consumer and
want to consume the things I want to consume.  I justify that by being
  willing to pay $$$'s for them.

But when I posted earlier I was somewhat more disgruntled than usual
with ATSC.   Wednesday night has 2 of my favorite shows on WB in HDTV
here in Jacksonville, Smallville & Angel.  But with my rooftop UHF
antenna mounted on a 13 foot mast in my living room 6 miles from the
tower my WB reception was so bad when I posted that I had just turned
off the show and decided to let my Tivo just get it in NTSC.  It did
that just fine from the same antenna.

Of course my local WB digital station is only broadcasting about 1/3
nanowatt of power but that still does not make me a happy camper
tonight with ATSC.

So I don't care if it was officially decreed that I should not be able
to watch Smallville & Angel this evening in HDTV.  It still sucks.

- Tom