[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo) 2004April20

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:31:21 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> John,
>=20
> How can it be that Zenith, demonstrating their latest generation ATSC
> receivers, refused to even attempt reception with an indoor
> antenna under
> those nearly ideal conditions that Mark described.
>
> The answer is they know how fragile ATSC still is (and always
> will be) and
> they did not want to risk any chance that someone would
> reveal the old man
> behind the curtain, instead of bowing to the great and powerful OZ
>
> One five minute demonstration like Sinclair did in Baltimore
> in 1999 would
> show you exactly what I mean.  All of the ATSC demonstrations
> at the 2004
> NAB compared the latest generation receivers with prior generation
> receivers, showing steady and encouraging improvement.
>=20
> However, they STILL can't match the performance of a 1999=20
> vintage COFDM
> receiver.

They have evidently concluded that no good can come of such
a demo. Possibly the chip being demoed is not the final
production version, possibly they've agreed among themselves
(LG and Samsung) not to compete on the convention floor,
possibly they don't want some knucklehead to compare it with
their vague memory of QPSK COFDM performance ("No, I SWEAR it
was 64-QAM I received in that metal closet over yonder!").

I don't know, John. My only question to you is why you assume
that these "steady and encouraging improvements" would suddenly
stop dead at the performance level of 64-QAM, 3/4 FEC, 1/16 GI.
In terms of long range, we know the advantage goes to single
carrier already. In terms of reception in clutter, should we
assume that the two schemes will approach each other
asymptotically (at 3.3 b/s/Hz), or might the two curves
intersect and continue to diverge?

That's what I don't understand. Why keep pounding on results
obtained with 1st generation chips? Who cares?