[opendtv] Re: Truthiness 2

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:35:11 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Mr. Weiss claims the broadcasters are not well represented
> at the ATSC, which is instead dominated by CE manufacturers.

Unlike Bob, I didn't see anything earthshaking, new, or revealing in any
of this. Seems to me we have hashed over all the points Mr. Weiss made
more than once. Matter of fact, I don't want to spend the time going
through the points one by one, but he does go over the tradeoff
questions for mobile vs fixed service fairly well, I thought. There are
tradeoffs involved. Optimize for one, you are suboptimal for the other.
Meaning, lower bit rate and/or higher cost.

The business about AVC vs MPEG-2 is nothing new. The issues have been
known from day 1. Changing any standard in an open system is always
going to be difficult. And the ATSC standard per se never prevented
anyone from updating the codec.

But on the point of ATSC representation, uuuh, aren't there far more
broadcasters out there than CE vendors? If the broadcasters aren't
represented adequately at the ATSC, whose fault is that?

> But that might imply the CE guys are responsible for keeping
> us using 8vsb for some reason.

Obviously not the case, right? If any single non-governmental
organization can be considered responsible for retention of 8-VSB, that
would have to be the NAB. But for the zillionth time, that's water under
the bridge, and it's time to move on or do something else for a living.
Seriously, I mean that.