[opendtv] Re: Truthiness 2

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:22:11 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

you just haven't talked to enough people about it.

I'll provide just ONE example.  An open DTV member (who hasn't posted but maybe
once in 6 years) who has a high-level engineering job at one of the major U.S.
networks and knows an awful lot about the technology in practical and
theoretically, told me last year:  "I won't say it on OpenDTV, but COFDM has
many advantages over 8-VSB; however I have to make a business with 8-VSB."

I agreed on both points, and I even mentioned the inferior nature of NTSC, of
which I've known since my first survey course in broadcasting in 1972.

The irony goes deeper, but that would require me to remove the "lurker's"
cloak.  And, he's not the only high-level network engineer with whom I've had
that conversation (another one on the SAME day, just a few crosstown Manhattan
blocks from this engineer's office.  Both have participated in ATSC activities,
and the employers are ATSC members.

Unlike some, they're too busy to sit around and blow smoke about what "could"
or even "should" have been.  Take out the "blowing smoke" and you have
Sinclair's position; but then one has to contemplate the political, as opposed
to engineering, realities.