[opendtv] Re: Trial FOTA HDTV in France

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 07:37:02 -0400

>They say that the transmission modes may be:
>
>1280x720p50
>1280x720p60 (!!)
>1920x1080i50 et
>1920x1080i60. (!!)
>
>Who says the ATSC doesn't have influence?

The reality is that it is not the ATSC, nor Hollywood that influenced
this rather interesting combination of formats. Rather, it is the
constant march of progress in display technology, which is making it
possible to deal with multiple frame rates. The raster formats are
also irrelevant now, however, they are strongly influenced by the
existing acquisition infrastructure for HD around the globe.

Emission is decoupled from acquisition; and MPEG compression (all
flavors) does not care about raster size or frame rates. The reality
is that these systems and virtually all modern displays can deal with
any raster size and multiple frame rates.

By the way, this was all well known during the ACATS/ATSC process. We
strongly recommended the elimination of all formats. Formats are
simply a throwback to analog, for which the displays operated
synchronously with the transmission system.

Perhaps our children will look back upon the folly of an industry
that is desperately trying to ignore the reality that video can now
be produced and displayed at whatever raster size and frame rate is
appropriate for the task.