[opendtv] Re: Trial FOTA HDTV in France

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 23:38:17 -0400

Olivier Houot wrote:

>There are apparently 2 choices :
>- either you're already renting a compatible terminal as part
>of your preferred pay TV operator subscription, and can use
>it to receive those brodcasts without any additional expense
>- or you can buy a decoder from FNAC, for example (a well
>known store chain in France) A 250 euros price tag has been
>mentionned, and get the signal without subscription

Merci, Olivier. That's what I suspected. For some reason, TF1 did not
explain the second choice you listed.

Another thing is that there appear to be, for now, two program streams over
one multiplex, in Paris, Lyon, et Marseille. In Paris, UHF Ch 23. Which must
mean that they had to go to 64-QAM, vs 16-QAM they use for SDTV. Which is
most likely why you're reading about reception issues at longer distances.
Low power, 64-QAM, no SFN. Makes it difficult. Even with H.264, 1920 X 1080
at 50i must require a good 10+ Mb/s.

>The codec is delivered by Ateme (www.ateme.fr). This company
>says it will soon be possible to deliver good HD at 5 Mbps through
>MPEG4. Well, if you consider 720@24P instead of 1080@50i for
>the input, maybe.

For all the moaning about Table A3 of A/53, according to that TF1 site,
neither 24p nor 30p of any sort are considered in the TNT HDTV choices. Only
50/60i and 50/60p. I suspect that will change.