[opendtv] Re: Trial FOTA HDTV in France

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 15:37:56 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

>> Although 59.94 is no longer mandatory with ATSC, as
>> stated in A/53 and A/54.
>
> Mandatory?  The infamous "Table 3" which is now Table A3
> in A/53E, page 28, lists 29.97, 30, 59.94, and 60 as
> four distinct options for framerate. Where was it ever
> mandatory?

59.94 and 29.97 are mandatory in NTSC, because of some beat problem
between the color carrier and the audio carrier. I'm saying that with
ATSC, this becomes a non-problem.

>> In fact, 30 and 60 are what I'd expect everything to
>> migrate to, after analog shutoff? No?

> No.  With the huge installed base of equipment and
> material, why should it? All the times for the programs
> would then be off.

Maybe you're right. Seems to me that new equipment, after analog
shutoff, could just go ahead and round everything to 30 and 60.
Receivers must be capable of accepting either one anyway.