[opendtv] Re: Technology years

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:01:13 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> From my outsider's point of view, if broadcasters want
>> E-VSB or A-VSB to be implemented in hardware, it is
>> *entirely* up to them (cum their NAB) to make it happen.
>> I really am puzzled to see the finger pointing from
>> them. Hardware vendors react to demand for products.
>> Service providers create that demand.
>
> Have you been listening Bert?
>
> The ATSC is largely run by CE companies, and a handful of
> broadcasters who really don't care if it is a success. I
> could have said something more pointed, but I'm trying to
> be polite...

Sorry, Craig, I have been listening. And what I heard is that while
E-VSB or A-VSB might be or soon be incorporated in ATSC, the doubt was
that any hardware that uses these would become available.

This is very different from the ATSC refusing to write updated
standards.

So let's compare the ATSC with the IETF. The IETF is run by vendors and
service providers, and also academia. If a vendor or a service provider
comes up with a new scheme they want or need to implement, the
interested party or parties write an Internet Draft. This document is
reviewed by the applicable IETF working group(s), and if interest
exists, after a lot of back and forth and wordsmithing, it is published
as an RFC. Some RFCs are standards track and eventually become
standards. Others are classified informational or experimental.

In what way is the ATSC different? If it takes more broadcaster support
to make the ATSC approve good ideas, then that's what it takes. Are
broadcasters who care about DTT expelled from the ATSC?

E-VSB, for example, *is* now included in A/53. It's not like this hasn't
happened. As far as I can tell, the ATSC *did* its job to the extent it
should. I expect the same to happen with A-VSB. This is exactly the way
the IETF operates.

Now it is up to the broadcasters to implement the new protocols. Of
course, they depend on the vendors to supply the hardware, but the two
go hand in hand.

A perfect analogy in the Internet is IP Multicast. It has stagnated
forever. Not because RFCs aren't available, but because the SERVICE
PROVIDERS are not particularly keen on it.