[opendtv] Re: Technology years

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:27:53 -0800

Bert wrote:

> But the CE community has nothing to say about it, right?

Only in that they must include the feature in their equipment, which they
refuse to do unless broadcasters present them with a business plan of which
they approve. I'm not making this up, they have final approval at ATSC. On
the other hand they can simply veto it by omission.

> The limitation on how much bit rate can be taken up with E-VSB
> traffic ONLY applies to prime time (A/53E Section 5.6.1
> and is therefore purely a decision made at the broadcast end.
> There's no reason for the CE vendors to police the E-VSB
> received rate at certain times of day. That would be
> ridiculous, IMO.

Who defines Prime Time? In this case it was defined by two networks but,
should their business plan be protected by a National Standard? Do
independent broadcasters, who might consolidate and create a different
business plan, not have the right to use these bits as they please? How
about the Spanish language networks and others who might plan to mux SD
programs in a robust steam, rather than using HD for a "main" channel. etc,
etc.
You are correct, it is ridiculous and with such restrictions, artificial or
not, EVSB will likely never be widely implemented.