[opendtv] Re: Technology years

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:32:00 -0500

Bert,

That is the whole point, isn't it? DVB-T works with cheap tuners. DVB-T works with cheap chipsets. You can't cripple the receiver using off the shelf parts.

Pace, Nokia, and others were ready and willing to bring a 6MHz box to market in the US as soon as the Sinclair petition to allow COFDM modulation was approved by the FCC. They testified to that during the comment phase of the Sinclair petition. I seem to recall that if the petition were approved by July, Pace said they would have product on store shelves by Christmas.

The number of manufacturers in the DVB-T market would have given the US market a much broader selection of STBs. The fact that DVB-T chipsets, that worked and worked very well, were available by many manufacturers, products for Europe appeared much sooner than here in the US, and if we had switched 8 years ago, we would have had them as well.

How do I assume this? Europe had the first DVB-T receivers integrated into a USB thumbdrive sized package. It wasn't until three years later the first ATSC ones appeared in our market. Europe had the first integrated portable DVD player/DVB-T/PAL with 8" LCD screen. There still is no ATSC equivalent. And finally, just look at the variety of receivers, STBs, and DVRs with integrated tuners that are available for the Australian market, with around 12 million TVHHs. The variety is staggering!

You are a systems guy, Bert, and all you care about is maximizing bits per Hz as an intellectual exercise. I am a broadcaster and I care about the number of bits received.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>

After 2003, it became obvious that whoever (plural) has been keeping 4th/5th gen stuff in short supply for so many years could just as easily have done that with COFDM. Or crippled US COFDM boxes with cheap tuners or other tricks.