[opendtv] Re: Technology years

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:17:18 -0500

We have previously talked about how the broadcasters do not promote HDTV and are afraid of pissing off the cable companies.

However this year many broadcasters seem to be feeling their oats and willing to hold up the cable companies for retrans consent dollars, either for everything or at least for HDTV.

But if that is the case then it would seem they would be in a much better negotiating position if they would push OTA HD. Instead I found it fairly amusing when one cable company was giving away free antennas but the broadcaster on the other side of the table (Sinclair?) was pushing satellite discounts.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Mark Aiken? Can you explain that part?

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Dale Kelly wrote:

However, the one aspect of this long discussion, which I
simply can not comprehend, is the notion that the eight
years lost awaiting the development of workable VSB
receivers is of little consequence to the OTA industry.

I agree. Eight wasted years. COFDM would not have changed that.

We can both agree that there are politico-economic forces out there that
don't want good DTT in the US. They successfully delayed introduction of
*good* low-cost 8-VSB receivers for at least 3 1/4 years, essentially
blocked availability of ATSC recording devices completely, and are still
keeping inventory of the first ever 5th gen STB low in stores.

These guys want to stall DTT in the US. Why on earth would those guys
have allowed COFDM? The US consumer is easily swayed to umbillical
media, and these guys know it, and they exploit that fact.

If you think I'm an 8-VSB zealot, then you'll assume I'm saying things I
do not intend. If any kind of zealot, I'm an OTA zealot. Lame excuses
for US OTA TV not thriving just p*ss me off. Onr of them is the
modulation choice. A lame excuse.

Take a look at this for an alternative reality in Europe.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2181

No one there is running scared about what ads the cable companies might
threaten to pull.

If you can read this far down, it is actions such as LG's of three +
years ago that convinced me the problem was not product development
anymore.

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com