[opendtv] Re: Technology years

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:53:52 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:
> When most of the world has gone with other standards that have been
> shown to work and are being accepted by their populations at an
> incredible rate the insanity is to stay the course with what is still
> a failed modulation, 8-VSB IMO.

Patience Grasshopper. We must stay the course for two more years (and fight off any more legislative delays) until Feb 2009. It is only when folks must actually use and rely on 8vsb that we will find out whether it works good enough.

Two years is a very short period of time, if we can keep it being only 2.

- Tom

On 1/19/07, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John Shutt wrote:

> That is the whole point, isn't it? DVB-T works with cheap
> tuners. DVB-T works with cheap chipsets. You can't cripple
> the receiver using off the shelf parts.

No, they can't work with cheap tuners. And that's just one example of
how CE manufacturers could prevent COFDM hardware from being widely
available here.

The simple fact is, the market could have been flooded with cheap and
functional ATSC devices since the Christmas season of 2003, and most
surely of 2004, and positively of 2005, and absolutely for sure this
past Christmas, and that didn't happen.

> Pace, Nokia, and others were ready and willing to bring a
> 6MHz box ...

And something or someone would reach them just as they reached LG and
others to prevent that from ever happening.

It doesn't have to be a real conspiracy. For some strange reason, in the
commercial world, as opposed to working on govt contracts, receiving
kickbacks is not a criminal offense for which people get thrown in jail.

Bert

They did "reach them". The tool was 8-VSB. It worked. Nokia, Pace and
all the others said we want NO part of 8-VSB. End of story.

They still want NO part of it. No one does except Sinclair, Samsung
and R&S at the moment. To late and not enough players IMO. And A-VSB
is still garbage until you can show me otherwise.

When most of the world has gone with other standards that have been
shown to work and are being accepted by their populations at an
incredible rate the insanity is to stay the course with what is still
a failed modulation, 8-VSB IMO.

Bob Miller

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com