[opendtv] Re: Some Aussie posts

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:58:56 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

The Netherlands will destroy the argument that high
penetration of cable and satellite preclude a rebirth of OTA.

Oh pooh.

The Netherlands destroyed already the hype about guaranteed indoor reception, which I saw was their intent again somewhere on the web. And also, the Dutch govt is supposed to re-evaluate the use of DTT spectrum in 5 years or so, to see what the future holds for this medium.

Which is why, when Jeroen explained the price structure of TV, my immediate reaction was that they were deliberately setting up DTT to fail. Which wouldn't be too surprising, considering the low dependence on OTA TV, and considering that even in this country, with much higher reliance on OTA TV, a lot of people seem to think that OTA TV should be killed off.

I think that Germany and the Benelux countries are pretty much the same in this regard. And conversely, the Scandinavian countries are more reliant on OTA TV, believe it or not, because many smaller towns have no cable, *and* because they are too far north for reliable satellite coverage for everyone.

Amazing.