[opendtv] Re: Some Aussie posts

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:44:02 -0400

I only said "will" because the Netherlands is only at 12 times our
rate of OTA use. Give them a year. Germany, Japan both prove the point
however.

A country can have 90% cable and satellite penetration and still have
an amazing OTA rebirth. Japan at 93% and Germany at 89%.

Bob Miller

On 3/13/07, Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

>The Netherlands will destroy the argument that high
>penetration of cable and satellite preclude a rebirth of OTA.

Oh pooh.

The Netherlands destroyed already the hype about guaranteed indoor
reception, which I saw was their intent again somewhere on the web. And
also, the Dutch govt is supposed to re-evaluate the use of DTT spectrum in 5
years or so, to see what the future holds for this medium.

Which is why, when Jeroen explained the price structure of TV, my immediate
reaction was that they were deliberately setting up DTT to fail. Which
wouldn't be too surprising, considering the low dependence on OTA TV, and
considering that even in this country, with much higher reliance on OTA TV,
a lot of people seem to think that OTA TV should be killed off.

I think that Germany and the Benelux countries are pretty much the same in
this regard. And conversely, the Scandinavian countries are more reliant on
OTA TV, believe it or not, because many smaller towns have no cable, *and*
because they are too far north for reliable satellite coverage for everyone.

Amazing.