[opendtv] Re: Scripps Spins Off TV Sector

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:38:28 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Dan;

Are you open to new concepts?  I note you talking about auto racing.  Little new there, except Fox busying up the screen.

Last year, ABC put some very unusual types of television programs on the air.

Did you sample "Carpoolers"?  (almost surreal in some contexts)
Notes from the Underbelly? (I never was able to sample this, and I don't think it will be back)
Cavemen?  (very ironic and perhaps a surrogate for race, but funny, including the reference to 'Gluten-free water' in an election campaign [in ersatz San Diego] between two creeps)

there was also that show with the guy from Sports Night with Donald Sutherland "Rich Sexy Money" that was a quite unique narrative form

and, last but not least, "Pushing Up Daisies" (not my cup of tea, but a truly innovative visual and narrative form that was simply stunning to watch)

not to "pick' on ABC, and I didn't see all of them, but the new ones that I did see on ABC offered more truly new television programs than I had seen on ALL tv networks in any previous new season.

Please note that I didn't refer to any 'reality' 'staged, scripted' or other such show.  They truly are dead to me.  But, maybe one will come along that is truly watchable, for me.

John Willkie, who has heard that ABC is bringing out some newer ideas, and will retain most of it's new slate from last year.  Alas, I haven't heard that Cavemen is coming back, but it was opposite NCIS, anyway.

Obviously, if the networks come back with compelling content, they'll win back the audience.  But their momentum has been greatly diminished.  Perhaps this is a time they can re-define themselves and come back with some winning programming.  I'm not holding my breath.

Dan

Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

07/03/2008 05:05 AM

Please respond to
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject

At 10:06 AM -0700 7/2/08, John Willkie wrote:
>It is probably also important to point out that it "seems" that tv's
>problems are directly related to the writer's strike.  Let's hope
>the pattern isn't repeated with the SAG situation.
>
>Prime time revenues and audiences were down about 20% this year.
>Other than that, tv has appeared to be holding its own.
>
>John Willkie

Really

There have been a few years since the '80s where Broadcast Network
ratings were flat, or even up slightly, but the trend line is
painfully clear:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/04/16/where-did-the-primetime-broadcast-audience-go/3362

Network ratings were down nearly 20% at the start of the last TV
season, BEFORE the writers strike.

We will see what happens this year. Ad revenues should be strong
thanks to the Olympics and the election. But I do not expect the
network audience to return to pre strike levels. The strike forced
viewers to explore new options - many will not be back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.