[opendtv] Re: Scripps Spins Off TV Sector

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:05:06 -0400

At 10:06 AM -0700 7/2/08, John Willkie wrote:
It is probably also important to point out that it "seems" that tv's problems are directly related to the writer's strike. Let's hope the pattern isn't repeated with the SAG situation.

Prime time revenues and audiences were down about 20% this year. Other than that, tv has appeared to be holding its own.

John Willkie

Really

There have been a few years since the '80s where Broadcast Network ratings were flat, or even up slightly, but the trend line is painfully clear:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/04/16/where-did-the-primetime-broadcast-audience-go/3362

Network ratings were down nearly 20% at the start of the last TV season, BEFORE the writers strike.

We will see what happens this year. Ad revenues should be strong thanks to the Olympics and the election. But I do not expect the network audience to return to pre strike levels. The strike forced viewers to explore new options - many will not be back.