[opendtv] Re: Scripps Spins Off TV Sector

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:46:38 -0700

Obviously, if the networks come back with compelling content, they'll win
back the audience.  But their momentum has been greatly diminished.
Perhaps this is a time they can re-define themselves and come back with
some winning programming.  I'm not holding my breath.

Dan

Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/03/2008 05:05 AM
Please respond to
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject

At 10:06 AM -0700 7/2/08, John Willkie wrote:
>It is probably also important to point out that it "seems" that tv's
>problems are directly related to the writer's strike.  Let's hope
>the pattern isn't repeated with the SAG situation.
>
>Prime time revenues and audiences were down about 20% this year.
>Other than that, tv has appeared to be holding its own.
>
>John Willkie

Really

There have been a few years since the '80s where Broadcast Network
ratings were flat, or even up slightly, but the trend line is
painfully clear:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/04/16/where-did-the-primetime-broadcast-audience-go/3362

Network ratings were down nearly 20% at the start of the last TV
season, BEFORE the writers strike.

We will see what happens this year. Ad revenues should be strong
thanks to the Olympics and the election. But I do not expect the
network audience to return to pre strike levels. The strike forced
viewers to explore new options - many will not be back.