[opendtv] Re: Scripps Spins Off TV Sector

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:17:12 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> This short story says volumes...

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=85
893&Nid=44537&p=428449

> We hear far less about the declining fortunes of local
> TV broadcasters, however, the story is similar. Declining
> ratings and older demographics for what remains.

In fairness to local TV, Craig, what the article says is that it's
holding its own. Which must mean that the demographics of the viewers is
not changing very much. Younger people must be replacing the older
folks, as time moves on.

"The prospects for the new E.W. Scripps remain murky. In the first
quarter, newspaper revenue was down 8.3% to $156 million (ad dollars
dropped 10%). Another trouble spot: Even as newspaper chains are
experiencing falling ad dollars, revenues at online operations--although
small--are generally increasing, but Scripps' were flat in Q1 at $10
million.

"Local TV revenue was down slightly ($500,000) versus Q1 in 2007."