[opendtv] Re: OTA and MVPD competition

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:46:42 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> Something around this level of resolution would look decent on notebook
> computer screens (or could just be displayed in a 480 x 320 window. It
> would also be adequate for whatever new gadgets come along with screen
> sizes below 10" diagonal.

Maybe but cell phone resolutions are getting bigger too. For instance the new Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 which offers a nifty 3" 800x480 wide VGA display.

see: <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2258979,00.asp>

- Tom

At 12:34 PM -0500 2/11/08, Tom Barry wrote:

Or, if they figured out how to charge for it, then it would already be a non-compatible proprietary box and they would be free to do something like MPEG-4/AVC in 848x480/60 or 960x540/60 presented to the TV as 720p/60, which they would probably get away with and would use substantially less bit rate to look good.

Yup. The magic phrase is "Charge for it." The NFL is free to negotiate rights with a pay service that would COMPLEMENT cable and DBS.

The quality levels you describe would be sufficient to deliver good pictures to current big screen TVs for the home. For mobile/pedestrian/handheld you could use significantly less.

Good quality images look incredible on my iPhone - the display is 480 x 320, which is significantly better than NTSC resolution due to progressive scanning.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx