[opendtv] Re: OTA and MVPD competition

  • From: "Adam Goldberg" <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:30:24 -0500

Does "USDTV" ring a bell?

-----Original Message-----
From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Kon Wilms
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:27 PM
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [opendtv] Re: OTA and MVPD competition

On Feb 7, 2008 10:15 AM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Meanwhile, the ability to charge for it would in turn involve the
> ability to encrypt it.  This would need the equivalent of cable card or
> some such for OTA and some billing agency that issued cards and could
> remotely activate them for selected content.  In order to do that the CE
>   guys would have to sell boxes supporting this card scheme and to get
> the economy of scale you would need a national agreed on standard for
> all this.

I find it amusing that broadcast security is always associated with
the need for a physical card.

> In the world of OTA I'll bet only somebody like Tivo could pull this off
> now, since they would also be equipped to handle overnight trickle
> content and already address the guide and billing issues.

You mean using their image-based datacasting? That mechanism is a
joke. Nevermind that there is no infrastructure in place to deploy the
content to stations for delivery via multi-hop datacasting.

Cheers
Kon