[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:50:55 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > Who knows whether mobile TV will be a success.
>
> Reset.
>
> We are not just talking about mobile TV that
> delivers the current ad supported program paradigm.

Actually, we were. We were talking about TV to mobile
platforms, specifically, not about other services.
For example, we were not discussing cellular
telephony to moving platforms, nor were we discussing
radio to moving platforms. Those other services are
already available to moving vehicles on another
slices of spectrum.

> Bits are bits...

No, actually it's broader than that. Hz are Hz, is
more like it. And it's been that way as long as radio
has existed. Each service delivered over RF presents
a different set of issues, with different tradeoffs.
Delivery of TV signals is more difficult than some
other services because much info is sent over a
proportionally small slice of spectrum.