[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:12:01 -0700

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 08:43 -0400, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> with the old model of one-ad-fits-all. Cable and DBS are deploying
> platforms to support localization and customization, and the caching
> needed to push personalized ads to targeted IP addresses.
> Broadcasters are stuck with a non-competitive platform, defined a
> decade ago, and poorly supported.

Not to nitpick, but targeting is never done by/to IP address. It is
always done by zipcode or customer ID associated with receiver ID,
originating from the SMS database, and stored on the box or on a
smartcard. The IP address or your IPTV box is irrelevant (its DHCP
anyway) for these purposes.

Which leads me to another thing - how long until we see true data mining
being used on SMS databases, and how long before we start seeing 'opt
out' letters in our mailboxes for SMS databases being offered up to 3rd
party advertisers?

Cheers
Kon