[opendtv] Re: News: STUDY SHOWS DOWNLOADERS BUY SONGS TOO

  • From: DISMO@xxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:48:37 EDT

In a message dated 7/29/2005 6:29:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
craig@xxxxxxxxx writes:
In the  '70s I routinely recorded albums that were legally broadcast
by radio  stations late in the evening.

Radio stations broadcast a Dolby calibration tone so you could set your
record level before the music started. And the recording industry was
screaming
about "home taping is killing music" - meaning executives' fat  bonuses, not
musicians' take-home pay. Remember the tape tax? Now it's  called a 'blank
media
tax." How'd you like to have enough legistators in  your pocket so when your
business took an unexpected detour, you could impose  taxes to make up the
shortfall? Sounds like a great deal to me.  30 years  later the music industry
is
still singing the same tired song.

BW