[opendtv] Multi-Unit Dwellings and ATSC

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:58:07 -0700

I'm curious as to how the transition to ATSC will work out for multi-unit
dwellings.

If I understand correctly, OTA, and more specifically ATSC, was designed
to use an outdoor antenna.  I also understand that it is every person's
right (as in legally cannot be prohibited) to install an antenna to
receive OTA.  I'm not sure if this only applies to single-family dwellings
or multi-unit dwellings as well.

Either way, I'm not sure that a multi-unit dwelling owner wants an
exterior antenna for every unit, thus, a single, central antenna would be
installed and a distribution system delivers the signal.  If that system
is converted to cable, as so many are, then the units will not be able to
receive OTA.

Remember that most here on this board specifically state that ATSC is
designed to be used with an exterior antenna on a 50' mast.  So do the
residents of a unit have the right to erect one?  Or are residents of
multi-unit dwellings forced to use rabbit ears which may or may not work?

Dan