[opendtv] Re: Multi-Unit Dwellings and ATSC

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:46:14 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> Either way, I'm not sure that a multi-unit dwelling owner
> wants an exterior antenna for every unit, thus, a single,
> central antenna would be installed and a distribution
> system delivers the signal.  If that system is converted to
> cable, as so many are, then the units will not be able to
> receive OTA.

Exactly.

Furthermore, if you are a renter, you are only allowed to erect an OTA
antenna on your premises. Not, for example, on the roof or other common
areas. Which means that if you were once capable of receiving the OTA
signal via the building system, you may no longer be able to receive the
OTA signal at all, depending where your apartment is located wrt the
transmitting towers.

Furthermore, while the FCC is now requiring the apartment complexes to
offer competing MVPD services to their tenants, there is no similar
requirement for OTA. Anyone who has ever lived in apartments knows that
depending solely on an indoor, or even balcony antenna, for OTA TV
reception, is an iffy proposition.

> Remember that most here on this board specifically state
> that ATSC is designed to be used with an exterior antenna
> on a 50' mast.

That's always been false. The 30' receive antenna height is a common
convention, used internationally, to predict coverage of OTA TV signals.
That's all. For ATSC as for DVB-T, indoor reception is not used to
determine a station's coverage. Indoor reception is sort of catch as
catch can. (As it turns out, with new receivers, indoor reception
happens to surprisingly good. Certainly better than what you'd expect
for reasonably decent NTSC.)