[opendtv] Re: Mortgage stuff

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:00:55 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

> You may recall my DTV receiver report filed from OZ about
> two years ago where I found many models of both SD and
> HD receivers in *abundance* on the store shelves. SD only
> STBs started at $45 and HD was about $160 and up.

I'm going by the Mark's memos we read over the years, where the prices of HD
STBs in Australia were not lower than here. Also a more recent comparison of
integrated HDTV receivers, where the prices were actually higher there than
here, for comparable features. (Although, of course, without a "tuner mandate,"
that's to be expected.)

In any event, the main point was that Aussies didn't save on HD sets by going
to DVB-T, and at the same time they were stuck with a simulcast requirement.
That's what I meant by the worst of both worlds.

> Who is it on this list that keeps saying that such a small DTV
> market will not be served by the CE manufacturers? Unlike
> here, the shelves there were fully stocked with many brands.

Sure, but that's not because of DVB-T. That's because for some inexplicable
reason, Aussies don't get lured, hooked, and reeled in by MVPDs nearly as much
as Americans do. And/or, their retailers and their broadcasters aren't given
disincentives-they-can't-refuse to marketing DTT equipment, or to airing OTA
content that they own.

As I showed some time ago, Aussie DTT does not offer more channels than US DTT.
And yet, it seems to work fine for them.