[opendtv] Re: Mortgage stuff

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:18:43 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I am surprised about the "no migration path exists" stance,
>> as recently as 1998, though. A bit of a shocker, since the
>> path clearly did exist.
>
> And what is that migration path? The millions of deployed
> ATSC receivers have NO MIGRATION PATH. They must be replaced,
> or augmented with a STB if we want to move to:

You are again confusing the Standard with implementations of the
Standard. The ATSC does not build hardware. But they did write a
standard that is extensible, as history proved. So, if there's anything
to complain about in this regard, complain to the CE guys, not the ATSC.

>> And even without cognitive radios, the standards that exist
>> are similar enough that a global set should not be hard to
>> implement.
>
> This is obviously true on the Internet. Unfortunately, in CE
> land we are still locked into regional standards for receivers
> that are not extensible for new services.

Why not? What's so hard about creating new services using A/90, for
example?

I see nothing stopping both the ATSC and the DVB-T from merging into one
standard. DVB-T has already taken a step in that direction, to support
US-produced HDTV shows. That's when DVB-T included 1080 at 60i/50i and
720 at 60p/50p to their bag of tricks.

It is not so difficult to add the complete DVB-T set of functions to
ATSC, without having to change the physical layer. It is probably also
feasible to build COFDM/8-VSB demods, to allow a smooth transition, or
just complete interoperability. Combined tuners and combined decoders
are already in production, so only the combined demod is needed to
achieve this global standard.