[opendtv] Re: Mortgage stuff

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:34:24 -0400

Australia is actually the perfect example.

In order to benefit from this supposed "global" standard, and yet not
get hung up with the European distaste for HDTV (at that time), they had
to, in a sense, accept the worst of both worlds. They had to segregate
the HD streams from the SD streams, to prevent those nice, cheap,
SD-only DVB-T boxes from going dark. And now they are stuck with this,
until whenever they wholesale switch over to H.264 or something else.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. The standard in Australia, like the standard here was driven in large part by political gerrymandering. Rupert Murdoch did not want to see a "Freeview" happen in Australia, which would have provided major competition for his Foxtel cable empire. So the commercial broadcasters were ONLY allowed to offer FTA HDTV, while ABC - the public broadcaster in Oz - was allowed to multicast in SD. Near as I can tell, every receiver sold in Australia can deal with both SD and HDTV.

The solution for h.264 is a phased migration comparable to what both DirecTV and Dish Networks are doing NOW in the U.S. New boxes could also support DVB-T2 IF the broadcasters in Australia think that what they have is inadequate.

So there never was a perfect global option. How come those inventing CDs
were such geniuses? That's what I can't figure out. The video guys ought
to consider hiring them.

There is a global option and it is rapidly taking over the closed systems. It is called the Internet, and it relies upon intelligent receivers that are scalable, interoperable and extensible.

The bottom line being, there's no reason at all to get all negative
about ATSC. As a deployed system, it ain't all bad by any means. I get
to watch glorious HDTV every night, and just compare the number of ATSC
towers we have here to cover the US, compared with anywhere else.

Glad you are happy with the ATSC service. Too bad that OTA broadcast TV is slowly dying in the U.S.