[opendtv] Re: Mortgage stuff

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:55:35 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So why has HD production and origination not been adopted
> universally by broadcasters in the U.S.?
>
> The answer is simple - most of the market (i.e. consumers)
> could care less.

I don't know what you're talking about. The very vast majority of what I
watch is, and has been, HD. Perhaps you should get past the
infomercials.

As I said before, the only reason not to transmit HD, now and in the
near future, will be to have room for multicasts. As more and more
people are now buying HDTV sets, i.e. the majority of new TV purchases,
demand will keep going up for HD content. That's why DBS and cable are
scrambling, and why they keep bragging in their ads how they carry more
HD than the other guy.

As far as I'm concerned, Johnny-come-latelies.

> Your changing the argument and adding a bunch of nonsense.
> HM is a completely different issue than layered coding.

Reading comprehension, Craig. Do I have to spell everything out point by
point? Read Shreiber's paper, where he brings up the SNR issue with
respect to layered coding, and then explain to me how lower SNR may
allow you to receive SD but not HD, except for HM.

> Toward simulcasting. The cable nets are rushing out HD
> versions of their content. But the SD versions still pay the
> bills.

And if all receivers were compatible with HD streams, then there would
be no need for any "SD version."

>> Please read RFC 791 and RFC 1122. These are the standard for
>> IP and the requirements for IPv4 hosts. Show me in these if
>> there's anything in IP that mandates any amount of
>> "extensibility" in the implementation of hardware.
>
> Don't change the argument again Bert. You are talking about
> the physical layer here, not the application layer.

For heaven's sake. Inform yourself. I'm talking about the network layer,
and you are talking about the network layer. Upgrading an appliance can
be done with many different protocols. It doesn't require IP, nor does
IP guarantee upgradeability.