[opendtv] Re: Mobile use

  • From: Mike Tsinberg <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 17:40:57 +0000

It seems Dutch are in front of using mobile technology for content gathering!
:-)

Best Regards,
Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com

On Sep 7, 2015, at 3:28 AM, Rob Koenen
<rob.koenen@xxxxxxxx<mailto:rob.koenen@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

A popular technology is from http://www.mobileviewpoint.com/

At TNO we built a system called Cameraad, which uses citizen journalists and
their smartphone. Cameraad comes with a central director interface showing
where potential contributors are, and the news desk can give spoken and written
directions to its contributors.A bit like Meerkat/Periscope but curated.
Unfortunately the links are only in Dutch.
http://www.persinnovatie.nl/20068/nl/cameraad-livestreams-van-ooggetuigen-in-het-nieuws
Cameraad will shortly be built into one of most popular news apps in NL, with
millions of users.

Best - Rob

On 7 September 2015 at 03:22, <cooleman@xxxxxx<mailto:cooleman@xxxxxx>> wrote:

In Amsterdam the local channel AT5 has a daily live show called De Straten van
Amsterdam, the streets of Amsterdam, in wich a reporter visits a street in the
city, and talks to a series of people, is shown around their homes, asks about
how the neighbourhood has changed, their lifestories and so on. He or she is
assisted by a regular camera/sound person, but a regular citizen is fitted with
a backpack, from wich a small alumium tube pops out with a flat 4-6 inch disc
on top of it. I am not shure what brand they use, but LiveU
http://www.liveu.tv/ is the or at least one of the pioneers of the portable
remote live reporting link market. They have been around for so long, I kinda
lost sight of the company, but I accidentaly walked into its press conference
at the IBC booth last year.

The only picture I could find was of a backpack with out the T shaped
radiator/antenna popping out, might be a newer model?

http://www.robstolk.nl/drukwerk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/AT5-1-613x460.jpg

Of course camera's have been fitted with wireless links for over a decade now,
I remember having a chance meeting with a BBC resesarch spin-off that did that
around a decade ago. And former cable distribution equipment manfacturer,
Standard Electronics Euro Distributor, turned into distributor and systems
integrator Link Research,now part of that siscom comglmerate, sucessfully
developed its own cofdm link system.

Not sure when it was exactly that I received the first announcement net for a
remote editing system, probably ahead of IBC 2009, claiming a world first, from
memory it was still a proxy based editing system, given the remotelink and
laptopower capabilities of the day.

Of course the quick to pick up hype shows jumped on Meerkat the slower ones on
Periscope, after Twitter wheeled its might around again.

Quoting Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

In an emergency, for news, yes, mobile phones might be used. In a
planned situation, microwave or satellite. In between, bonded cellular
(multiple channels) and VPNs are possible -- even WiFi.

On 9/5/2015 7:34 PM, Mike Tsinberg wrote:
I have a question to this community. What technology is used by
broadcasters when they need some local content real fast? Do they
use consumer products such as mobile phones/tablets and consumer
apps or some other technology?

Best Regards,
Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com<http://keydigital.com/>